Thursday, July 2, 2020
Monday, June 29, 2020
I am stating to try scenery on my layout. I am stating the area by my model of the Thermos company factory on the south side of Norwich. I have used Homasote in this are and it is dead flat. To give the track work bit of definition I carved "roadbed" into the Homasote. It was fairly quick and easy to do. I used a new blade in a utility knife that is is used in dry-walling.
|You can see my carved ditches, as well as the handle of my knife. Not perfect,|
but it breaks up the complete flatness.
My wife gave me an electrostatic flocking machine for Christmas a couple of years ago and I finally got it out to use it. (She calls it a grass shouter, which sounds much more fun.) I followed the guidelines that Chris A. spelled out on his blog, xxxxx I am pretty happy with the results. I still have a bunch of things to do , but it is moving in the right direction.
Saturday, May 23, 2020
Penn Central started the program of re-powering Alco RS-3s using EMD engine from surplus E-8's. Conrail continued the program, and these engines out lasted all other Alcos on Conrail. Back in the late 1980's a gentleman from western NY made a beautiful plastic kit for the distinctive hump that these locos had. I used an Atlas RS-3 as the base of the build
|Here is and Atlas shell, I have removed the large radiator fan and the exhaust stack.|
|I have oped up the engine room and this show the various parts i used.|
|A close up of the cuts.|
|The extended engine compartment has been added and the fan has started to be filled.|
|The fans have been added as well as the cab.|
|This shows the center widow that have been sealed.|
|The top is a finished NH unit, the center will become and Amtrak unit and the bottom the Conrail unit.|
|Here is the finished model, I used a mic of Microscale and Accucal decals. I weathered with Pan Pastels|
Wednesday, May 13, 2020
I finally framed and dry walled the last wall in the basement. I did have to take down my south (east) end staging yard. I added a bit of trim to the edge of the yard and painted in dark green. The basement also doubles a a music studio, both of my sons are in various bands and we have set up a nice area for them to practice and record.
|How it looked as of a couple of weeks ago.|
Tuesday, March 31, 2020
While I am still going to work everyday, evenings and weekends are very open. I am getting more projects completed. First up is an RS-3. I picked up an Athearn shell in NH green and orange off of eBay. I mounted it on an Atlas drive and installed a TCS Wow decoder with sound. I weathered it with oil washes an Pan Pastels
Next up are two RS-11's. One is an upgraded Atlas and the other is a Rapido. I also weathered them with Pan Pastels.
The Atlas unit turned out nice, but is not a match detail wise to the Rapido model.
I hope everybody is doing well and staying safe.
Friday, March 27, 2020
This is the basic parts of Duke's Diner. The Cast Resin body I found on line, the base I built out of sheet styrene and the stairs that are from a Walthers kit I had kicking around. I used N Scale Architect brick sheet to wrap the base and stairs.
Here it is with silver paint on the body and brick that is a bit too bright. I covered some of the windows for the "kitchen" area of the diner. I do need to remove the cross piece in the front left window to match the prototype. I do need make the sign for the roof and add glass.
Here is the real on in 1958.
Thursday, March 19, 2020
Wednesday, March 4, 2020
Sunday, February 2, 2020
I decide I really needed to clean up my workbench. I had gotten to a point where if I had a square foot to work on I was lucky. I should have done a before photo, but at least you can see how neat it is now. I also found a few detail parts that I thought I would have to buy so I even saved a few bucks.