Saturday, May 23, 2020

Conrail RS-3m

Penn Central started the program of re-powering Alco RS-3s using EMD engine from surplus E-8's.  Conrail continued the program, and these engines out lasted all other Alcos on Conrail.  Back in the late 1980's a gentleman from western NY made a beautiful plastic kit for the distinctive hump that these locos had. I used an Atlas RS-3 as the base of the build




Here is and Atlas shell, I have removed the large radiator fan and the exhaust stack.

Another view.


I have oped up the engine room and this show the various parts i used.

A close up of the cuts.

The extended engine compartment has been added and the fan has started to be filled.

Another view.

The fans have been added as well as the cab.


This shows the center widow that have been sealed.

Another view

The top is a finished NH unit, the center will become and Amtrak unit and the bottom the Conrail unit.


Here is the finished model, I used a mic of Microscale and Accucal decals.  I weathered with Pan Pastels





3 comments:

  1. LOVE this! IIRC, I have some pics of these from the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like these locos, great job of modeling one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I have this conversion piece also. Any build info on the caboose?

    ReplyDelete