Monday, July 10, 2023

More Passenger Cars

Now that I have shown off some of the easier cars to build (or place on the tracks) I am back to creating multi media projects, in this case a Pullman 8 Section / 5 double bedroom heavy weight Pullman.  This one I am building a bit differently, I am using the Bachmann Pullman sleeper as a core for a set of bras car side.  I picked this project up from another modeler who decide he did not want to finish it. The two part care side were already assembled and the core had been stripped off the underbody details.  The core includes the ends. One of the pluses of using the Bachmann Pullman is it has only one vestibule, as did the 8-5 Pullmans, having the correct blind end on the non vestibule end.  As you can see below the car is ready for painting.  even though the core and sides will all be Pullman green, it is easier to paint the parts separately and then assemble.  It is much simpler to add the decals then the appropriate finish, I go either flat or satin, and then add the window material, shades and railings.  At this point I will assemble the whole care. 

I removed the material from from the window band that could be seen
 through the new widows on the brass car sides.  I also sanded down all
the high spots on the core so the sides will fit as flat as possible.

Why a Pullman 8-5?  This car will be a clover serious sleeper, assigned to the NYC but out on Pullman lease.  These cars showed up on a number of New Haven and B&M trains over the years including the Montrealer/Washintonian, the Bar Harbor Express and the Night White Mountains, all in to the mid to late 1950's in both Pullman Green and the Pullman Two Tone Gray.

This is also my 100th post!  I will hopefully get to 200 much quicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment