Thursday, November 2, 2023

Travel Club Conclusion

Picking up where I left off on building Travel club 8 section Restaurant.  I painted the sides and ends with Tru Color Pullman green.  I lettered the car using Micro Scale Union Pacific post 1948 decals. I had to piece together the word travel. Once the decals are nicely settled, I sprayed gloss coat to hide any decal film. I then followed with a light coat of dull, giving a satin finish.

In between the various painting a letter steps I but together an interior using the parts from the solarium and 10-1-2 to create a reasonable interior. I added a few seated passengers. Theses are inexpensive ones from Amazon.  

Here is a side view of the kitchen side of the car. Please note I did
 not do any work on the bathroom next to the kitchen. You can not
see it once the car is all together. I should have taken the parts out
for use on future projects. 

This shot give you a better view.

I add the widows back into the car, again, using the original Walther's window material from the cars. I was also able to make them fit into the few NERS widows I used. I then added brass wire for the handrail in the aisle opposite the kitchen and bathrooms. I like the way this looks on the cars. I then added widow shades made using printed heavy paper varying the heights.  

The roof ended up being a bit of a hassle. I was originally going to use a Branchline line 6-3 roof with NRS A?/C duct work added, but the mounting methods are not very compatible, so I was able to get a roof directly from Walther's and I then added the extra A/C duct work.

Here is the finished car.  It is not a perfect model, but look great on a layout and with a mix of other cars.  

This is the aisle side of the car, the interior handrail is
visible on the windows.

Same side of the car, coupled with a mostly complete New Haven Beach
 sleeper. The roof is not yet attached plus a few this need to be finished. 

Here is the solarium end. This makes the cars stand out a bit from others.
 Of course on the Bar Harbor Express and the Night White Mountains,
 this type of car was placed mid-train. 
 
Here is the kitchen side of  the car.  This side is a bit more interesting
with the kitchen widows and mid train bathroom. 

This was a fun build.  I am unaware of any kit or brass car on the market for this style car. Pullman's use of modular components make it possible to kitbash most any car you want. Please drop me a line if you have any questions on the build. 



No comments:

Post a Comment