Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Decals

 

I love decals.  They promise so much potential, the ability to letter some great model that I have built and painted.  I have a good number of decals, from old Walthers’ sets to the latest offerings from Highball Graphics and K4.  When I first started building serious model trains, Accu-Cals were my go-to, they had great sets covering the New England railroads I was trying to model. Microscale is the big kid on the block, Champ and Herald king have faded away and several new suppliers have filled in some of the gaps.  Black Cat Decals does a great job for Canadian railroads.  



The reason I am going on like this is while there are many decal suppliers, the ability to letter Pullman Heavyweight cars is difficult.  The good news is Microscale makes a few different sets in both gold (gold leaf) and Deluxe Gold (Painted Gold) to letter the cars painted green.  You may need to cobble together names, but it is possible.  The two-tone gray cars are a whole other matter. Champ did make decals for these cars painted in the two-tone, both in while and aluminum (silver grey), but these sets are long out of production.  Bethlehem Car works offers these for New Haven cars, but not useful for other railroads. I have been keeping an eye on eBay to pick up a few more sets.

So, for all the decal manufacturers, I ask for new sets of Pullman decals. A good set for the two-tone cars, including stripes.  The sets need lots of names, even sets of syllables to create names would be useful. Additional sets of names for green cars would be useful as well. While I am no expert on the Pullman, I do know of resources and would be happy to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment